Friday, July 12, 2019

RACING FLAT TRACK : DETERMINATION


What's it take to give a good interview?
Bravery I replied.  
The young racer who asked 
the question seemed confused.  
Let me explain,
'You can take just as much of beating 
entering turn one too fast as you can 
saying the wrong thing to the press.'
Not every racer wants to risk it. 
Some have too much on their plate as it is.
Or maybe they're scared about 
what people might think.
I dunno...
My job is to capture the story 
that go with the pictures.
You know, like in that    
Jamey Johnson song 'In Color'. 
No one is going to know what it's like 
unless we capture those words. 
Just like in the wild west.   
Those stories would be just dust in the wind if 
people like me don't write them down.
The kid says 'you seem to favor Henry Wiles a lot'.
Well, he brave and he knows he can trust me.
He ain't afraid either.






Nothing like fumbling in the dark for your buzzing cell phone.
I knocked over half the stuff on my nightstand trying to grab it.
'Sorry to call ya back so late Michael.'
There was a rhythmic, metal clanking noise in the background.
His breathing was very controlled.
He exhaled after he answered each of my questions.
Where are you calling from me?
Henry Wiles squeezed out,
I'm at the gym.
Daytona is only a few months away.
You know working all day
is no excuse in my book.
Ya gotta want it to get it.
I know my dream requires sacrifice.








Another glimpse behind the curtain came
in the press room at Daytona post race.
There is a lot of media attention
from around the world under the
bright lights of the Speedway. A variety
of journalists were in the press room to
question the three riders who finished on the podium.
Some of these mainstream writers were obviously
looking to add to that wild biker image.
After all, Daytona is known for its night life.
So one asked Wiles, since the race was over, was he
heading downtown to blow off some steam in the
Main Street bars?
Henry paused,
'Well...I was thinking about getting some fried food.
I haven't had any for the last 6 months'.
The journalist looked stunned and confused.
Us flat trackers looked down at
our notepads and smirked.
That was classic Henry.


Photos by Lawless & AFT


Henry later laughed telling me 
'we might be racers but really we're entertainers.'
That 'It's not easy or everybody would do it.'
How you got be dedicated and keep motivated.
Half-assing it won't cut it.
You gotta be fit and be ready.
Look at some of the new guys in the class-do they look in shape?  
That's why they get hurt.
They get tired and make mistakes.
They are reaching for something that's not there.
Ya gotta give it your all or just go home.
So this is what it takes to be a front runner in the championship.
I walked away inspired to push myself harder.






No comments:

Post a Comment

RACING FLAT TRACK : DETERMINATION

What's it take to give a good interview? Bravery I replied.   The young racer who asked  the question seemed confused.   Let ...